The D-Link DCS-825L is a middle range nanny cam
There are 5 different models in the D-Link wireless camera range and this model is right bang in the middle. The DCS-825L nanny cam looks great and you can even change the colored rings on its face, to match your decor or the gender of your baby.
- 2-way communication.
- SD card slot.
- 720p Resolution.
- IR night time vision (5 meters or 16.4 feet).
- Wide viewing angle (66.18 H x 35.9 V x 76.22 D degrees).
- Plays 5 pre-set lullabies.
- Ambient temperature sensor.
- Digital zoom (x 4).
- Sound and motion alerts via email or SMS.
- Can be powered by a USB battery.
Check Price on Amazon
Wide viewing angle
The D-Link DCS-825L baby cam has just about all the functionality you need in a nanny cam, except for a pan and tilt functionality.
It does have a fairly wide viewing angle (66.18 H x 35.9 V x 76.22 D degrees), which seems to make up for this lack, as so far no online customer reviews have complained about not having pan and tilt in this model.
With the 2-way communication, you can talk to your baby and comfort them if they are upset and you can even talk to whoever is in the room with them. This makes it nice because you can chat to your partner while they are changing your baby or cuddling them or even with your other children, if they are in the same room with your baby.
Digital zoom x4
This is one of the few nanny cams that comes with a digital zoom right out of the box, which is a great feature and much better than the ‘pinch and pull’ zoom facility that comes with the app on many other nanny cams.
So with this feature you can zoom in close to your baby or toddler,even when you are at the office or on the other side of the world.
You will be taking family snap shots to the next level with a digital zoom on your nanny cam.
Ambient temperature sensor
You also have a temperature sensor so you can make sure that the temperature of the nursery is always just right for your baby. Many parents are not too bothered about this function as there is no recommended set temperature for babies and infants. Others like to make sure that the temperature is within a range of their choosing – so you will like this feature.
SD local storage
With the D-Link DCS-825L baby cam you can store your live videos or snapshots to the SD card (you need to buy an SD card separately) and from there you can load the snaps to your PC or onto Facebook to share with family and friends.
You can also upload your own selection of tunes or lullabies to the SD card and play them for your baby or infant to help them drift off to sleep.
Night time vision
The DCS-825L gives you a full 16 ft clear night time vision with LEDs, so you can easily monitor your baby or infant sleeping in the nursery at night.
The 5 preset lullabies are also a nice feature of this D-Link wireless camera, because you can remotely switch the lullabies on and off or turn the volume up or down using your smartphone or tablet, wherever you are – even overseas – as long as you have an internet connection.
You can even upload your own lullaby selection or record a lovely bedtime story to your micro SD card and play any of these for your little one at any time – all controlled from your smartphone or tablet.
When your baby stirs or wakes, you will instantly receive sound and motion alerts on your mobile device. This means that you won’t miss a minute of their time and know exactly when they are sleeping soundly and when they are stirring.
This D-link nanny cam can be powered by mains power, but also by a USB battery. This means that you can even take it camping if you want! – but it really means that if the power is cut, your nanny cam will keep working until it is switched by on. This keeps your family safe, whether the power is on or off.
Who uses the D-Link DCS-825L baby cam?
With this D-Link camera you can use your smartphone or tablet to monitor your baby, elderly relative or even your pet while you are away from home.
So when you are at work or on-the-go you can click on the app in your mobile device and see real-time video of your baby, even zoom in for a closer look just to be sure they are fine.
- Observe your baby at night to make sure they are safe and sleeping
- Keep in touch with your children or baby when you are at work
- Keep an eye on an elderly relative when you are not at home
- Make sure your pets are behaving themselves when they are left alone at home
Features of the D-Link 825L nanny cam
- WIFI: Yes, the D-Link DCS-825L uses 11 b/g/n connectivity
- Size: 5” x 3.5” x 4”
- Battery: This D-Link camera can be powered by an external USB battery
- Power supply: 100-240 V AC/5 DC
- Two-way communication: Yes, anywhere, anytime 24/7
- Infrared: You have a range of 16ft nighttime IR vision with LEDs
- Zoom: x4 digital zoom
- Storage: You have a MicroSD or SDHC card slot
- Pan and Tilt: No
- Temperature sensor: You can remotely check the nursery temperature
- Live feeds: Yes, you have live video feeds 24/7
- Security: Secure password protection and HTTP and RTSP authentication
- Alerts: Sound and motion alerts via email or SMS on your mobile devices
- Lullabies: Yes, you have 5 preset lullabies and can load your own as well
- Warranty: 1 year limited warranty
- Video resolution: HD 1280 x 720
- Color images: Yes during day light and grey and black at night time
- Frames per second: 30 fps
- Viewing angle: 66 H x 36 V x 76 D
- Motion detector: Yes
- Sound detection: Yes
Inclusions with the D-Link DCS-825L
- You need to purchase an SD card separately
- You need to download the mydlink Baby Camera app from the Apple App Store or Google Play
- Micro USB-to AC power adaptor
- White, blue and pink rings
- Wall mount kit
- Quick installation guide
- A USB battery is not included
What are customers saying about the DCS-825L nanny cam?
The DCS 825L nanny cam has plenty of great features, but it still seems to have problems with the app and its connectivity, as do all of the D-Link nanny cams unfortunately.
Some customers love these nanny cams, so it might be best to keep an open mind!
The D-Link DCS-825L is in the middle of the range of D-link cameras and has just about everything you want in a good little nanny cam – a digital zoom, temperature sensor, 5 preset lullabies and an SD card slot for local storage.
You can also add your own tunes or lullabies to the SD card and play them to your baby or toddler to help them sleep, when you can’t be there with them. It can also be operated from a USB battery, so you don’t have to worry if the power goes out. Since this model doesn’t have a Pan & Tilt function, if you want a D-Link nanny cam with this feature, check out the DCS-850L and the DCS-855L models.
On the negative side, some customers do have persistent problems with the app and with the connectivity, however some of these problems have been due to using the wrong app.
Check Price on Amazon
Read my D-Link DCS-800L review here.
Read my review of the iBaby M6 nanny cam here.