Smart Home Gadgets for the Future
There are some really impressive Smart Home Gadgets on the market, the problem is that most of us don’t know about them. We also don’t know how to incorporate them into our homes in an affordable and an easy way.
So let’s take a look at 10 Smart Home Gadgets that you can easily add to your home and will make you look like Bill Gates to all of your friends!
- iGrill Bluetooth Thermometer
- Amazon Echo
- WIFI Smart Plug with Energy Monitoring
- Sensei WIFI Programmable Thermostat
- Liftmaster MyQ WIFI Garage Door Controller
- Ring WIFI Enabled Video Doorbell
- Nest WIFI Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm
- Rachio WIFI Smart Sprinkler Controller
- Mixberry Bluetooth Smart LED Light Bulb
- WIFI Enabled Wemo Light Switch
1. iGrill2 Bluetooth Thermometer
Grill like a pro with the iGrill2 Bluetooth thermometer. How cool is it to check the temperature of your meat on the BBQ or in the smoker using your smartphone?
Imagine having a beer on the porch, mingling with your guests and then checking your smartphone and telling everyone that dinner is ready!
Well, the iGrill2 lets you do just that with two temperature probes so you can keep an eye on the temperatures of different foods on your grill or smoker at the same time.
- 2 professional temperature probes.
- Custom or preset temperature alarms.
- 150 foot Bluetooth range.
- 200 hour battery life.
- Magnetic mounting on grill or smoker.
- Illuminated display.
- Compatible with iOS and Android devices.
Just download the free app, set the desired temperatures, activate the alarm and then you can go about your business until the alarm sounds to tell you that your food is cooked.
The iGrill2 makes the perfect gift for the grill enthusiast in your life.
2. Amazon Echo
Touted as a voice activated virtual assistant, the Echo is one of Amazon’s best selling Smart Home Gadgets and has nearly 40,000 online reviews.
The list of what Alexa (Echo’s artificial intelligence) can do is growing daily as new functions are continually being added to its repertoire. The gist of Echo is that it is connected to your WIFI in your home and is voice activated.
- Streams music from Prime, Pandora, Spotify and other internet radio services.
- Steams and read the news to you (NPR or ESPN) and can even curate the news based on your preferences.
- Let’s you know the weather and traffic updates.
- Set timers and alarms in connected appliances and devices.
- Connects with lights, thermostats, doorbells and home security to name a few.
- Provides answers to questions and can even hold a conversation.
- Orders a pizza, books a taxi and wakes you up in the morning.
- Compatible WeMo, Philips Hue, Samsung SmartThings, Wink, Insteon, Nest, and ecobee smart home devices.
I am not kidding, the Echo can instantly turn your home into a Smart Home and its abilities just keep expanding all the time.
3. WIFI Smart Plug with Energy Monitoring
How cool is this plug? You can monitor the energy usage of any device that is plugged into it and turn them on or off from anywhere, using your mobile device.
Did you forget to turn the coffee machine off when you left home this morning? No worries, because you can simply open the app on your smartphone and switch it off from work.
You can even switch your coffee pot, lights and TV on when you leave work, so that your home looks occupied and everything is ready when you walk through the door.
This saves you a lot of worry and stress about forgetting to turn appliances off when you leave the house and also lets people think that someone is at home as well.
Don’t forget all the money you will save on your energy bills, because you can schedule the timing for all of your lights and appliances.
- Monitor energy usage and save money on your bills.
- Turn electrical devices on and off from anywhere on your smartphone.
- Use the Away Mode to make it look like you are at home.
- Set timers and create schedules for your devices.
- Works with Alexa (Amazon Echo).
All you need to do is to download the Kasa app to your mobile device and after it connects to your WIFI, you are good to go.
4. Sensi WIFI Programmable Thermostat
Most of us have a thermostat in our homes, whether its for the gas, oil, heat pump or radiant heat systems.
The Sensi WIFI Programmable Thermostat replaces your old thermostat, giving you the ability to set, change and schedule hot or cooling temperatures in your home from anywhere in the world.
Scheduling your heating and A/C helps you to save money on your heating bills and gives you a lovely warm home when you arrive from work. This WIFI thermostat works with Alexa for voice control (Amazon Echo) and can be installed with your existing wiring.
- Installed in 15 minutes or less.
- Works with most heating and cooling systems in the USA and Canada.
- Indoor humidity sensor.
- Local weather information.
- Low profile design.
- Secure cloud network.
- Works with duel fuel systems
- 7 day scheduling.
- Works with Alexa and Wink Smart platforms.
- Up to 4 stages of heating and 2 stages of cooling.
- Does not need a common wire for dual fuel systems.
- Does require a common wire for cool only or heat only systems.
- Dedicated support team 7 days a week.
5. Liftmaster MyQ WIFI Garage Door Controller
Automatic garage door openers are two a penny, but with this WIFI controller you can open and close your garage door anywhere, at anytime.
The Liftmaster MyQ WIFI Garage Door Controller allows you to use your smartphone to control your garage doors and is one of the most useful automated Smart Home Gadgets on my list.
So if you forget to close the garage doors on your way out, you can keep your home secure on the way to work using your smartphone. You can also open the garage door when you are work, if a guest turns up unexpectedly.
- Controls up to 2 garage doors at once (requires additional door sensor).
- Can be used with most garage door opener brands and gates.
- Requires WIFI.
- Easy to install and very affordable.
- Monitor the opening and closing of your garage door.
- Set custom alerts.
6. Ring WIFI Enabled Video Doorbell
When someone rings the doorbell, its great to be able to actually see who is at your door, whether you are in the house or the garden. You can even set the alarm system, so if you are away from your home, you can still see who is at your door.
With a built in motion detector and a 30 foot detection range, you can instantly see who is approaching your home, and view the recorded video later if needed.
The Ring WIFI Enabled Video Doorbell gives you added peace of mind and security for your home and your family, something that is important in today’s world.
- Alerts and live video streaming to your smartphone.
- Built in night vision.
- HD images.
- Motion sensor.
- Easy to set up and sync with your WIFI.
- Dual powered – use the rechargeable battery or wire it in to your home.
- Lifetime purchase protection.
7. Nest WIFI Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm
Keeping your family and your home safe and protected is important for all of us and this WIFI enabled smoke and carbon monoxide alarm sends a voice alert to your smartphone if the alarm goes off or the batteries run low (you can hard wire the detector as well).
When it comes to Smart Home Gadgets, this is one of the best on the market.
That’s because with the Nest WIFI Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm, once the alarm has been activated you can even quiet the alarm from your smartphone. Knowing if there is a problem at home, when you are at work is better than finding out when you arrive home and you can even be alerted if the toast is burning in the kitchen, when you are in the family room.
- 10 year carbon monoxide sensor.
- Heat sensor.
- Humidity sensor.
- Carbon monoxide sensor.
- Occupancy sensor.
- Ambient light sensor.
- Industrial grade smoke detector.
- Tests itself automatically.
- Split spectrum sensor locates both slow and fast burning fires.
- WIFI alerts on your smartphone.
- Silence the alarm using your smartphone.
- Easy to install.
- Attaches to a wall or ceiling.
8. Rachio WIFI Smart Sprinkler Controller
With the Rachio WIFI Smart Sprinkler Controller, you have complete control over your sprinkling system, regardless of whether you are at home or on holiday overseas.
The Rachio WIFI Smart Sprinkler System even schedules itself, based on past, present and future weather patterns, taking into account real-time weather forecasts. This is the ideal way to keep your garden looking healthy and beautiful, even when you are away on holiday.
You also save money because your garden is only watered when the weather demands it. The Rachio Sprinkle Controller works with the Nest platform and integrates with other top tier home automation systems for expanded functionality (Wink, Control4, Nexia, Alexa).
- Save water and keep your garden healthy with real-time automatic scheduling.
- Access the system on your smartphone, anywhere in the world.
- Automatically skips watering if it has recently rained.
- Save money with automated sprinkling.
- Easy installation. up and running in 30 minutes.
- Two options – up to 8 zones or 16 zones.
- Requires a WIFI connection.
- Made in the USA.
9. Bluetooth Smart LED Light Bulb by Mixberry
Have you ever wanted unlimited colour options with your home lighting? Well, with the Mixberry Bluetooth Smart LED Light Bulb, you have access to over 16 million different colours and shades, so you will always find a colour to suit your mood.
You can control the colour of the lights from your smartphone and the LED bulb will even sync its colours to the beat of your music. There is a sleep timer and an alarm feature as well, so you can set your light to dim and switch off and then turn back on at a set time.
This Smart Home Gadget is ideal for parties, mood setting or just because you have always wanted to change the colour of your lights with your smartphone!
- Bluetooth LED bulb with unlimited colour options.
- Free app on your smartphone.
- Control the colour of your lights at home.
- Set dimming options and set alarms.
- Connect up to 12 Mixberry Smart Bulbs and control them individual or as a group.
- Easy to install – simply screw in the light bulb and download the app.
- Similar light to a 60W Bulb.
- Energy efficient.
- 1 year warranty.
10. WIFI Enabled Wemo Light Switch
Replace your old light switches with a WIFI enabled switch and control your lights and other light or ceiling appliances from anywhere in the world, all on your smartphone.
With one of these Smart Home Gadgets you can schedule the internal or external lights to come on before you arrive home, set the ceiling fans to switch on if a specific temperature is reached and sync the on and off times to the sunset and sunrise.
- Replaces your normal light switches.
- Easy to install – perfect for DIY.
- Create on and off schedules.
- Use the Away Mode to keep your home safe.
- Monitor your energy usage.
- Works with Alexa and Nest platforms.
- No subscriptions required.
- Compatible with Apple iOS 8 or higher and Android 4.1 or higher.