Specifications of the Nest Cam Security Camera
The Nest Cam is the souped up version of the Dropcam Pro and comes with 2-way communication, IR night time vision, a digital zoom (x8), a wide angle lens and push notifications.
The images are crystal clear, but to get the full benefit from the Nest Cam you need to subscribe to their cloud storage at Nest Aware.
You can select from a $10 a month plan or a $30 a month plan (prices correct at time of writing this review) and for this you have 100GB or 300GB of rolling cloud storage. Without this subscription you can view live video, but you can’t access previous recordings or save any of the video.
- WIFI: 2.4GHz, 802.11 b/g/n.
- Battery: No
- Power supply: 100 to 240 volts.
- Storage: Cloud storage only.
- Two-way communication: Yes.
- Pan & Tilt: No, but you have a wide 130 degree viewing angle.
- Infrared: Yes, 8 high power LEDs with an IR cut filter.
- Zoom: Digital zoom x8.
- Live feeds/Remote monitoring: Yes, but recordings require a Nest Aware account for cloud storage.
- Alerts: Push alerts for sound and motion detections.
- Data encryption: AES 128-bit SSL encryption and TLS.
- Lullabies: No
- Warranty: 2 year limited warranty.
With the Nest Cam you have a 1/3″, 3 megpixel sensor with millions of colors and a digital zoom (x8). The images and video are crystal clear in both day and night time conditions.
- Video resolution: H.264 encoding, 1920 x 1080p.
- Frames per second: 30.
- Color images: Yes during daylight, grey and black in low light conditions.
- Motion detector: Yes.
- Sound detection: Yes.
You need to have a home WiFi and working broadband connection at home of at least 2Mbps upload speed, and DSL might not be good enough.
You also need a smartphone or a tablet with iOS 8 or later or an Android 4 or later (they must be able to support 1080p). You also need a free Nest account, but this doesn’t have to be the monthly subscription.
Inclusions for the Nest Cam
The Nest Cam weighs 7.16 oz, and is 4.5″ x 2.8″ x 2.8″ in size (H x W x D).
It comes with a versatile stand and a magnetic base, a 10 foot USB cable and power adapter, a quick start guide, a window decal, and screws and a wall mounting plate.
The Nest Cam is a great sleek looking nanny cam with lots of features – 2 way communication, a wide angle lens, IR night time vision, a digital zoom (x8), high quality images, push sound and motion alerts, multiple mounting options and is easy to setup.
It also has bank level encryption, works well with other Nest devices, but does require a paid monthly subscription to Nest Aware so that you can save and store the live video recordings. It is a bit expensive and can be even more so if you add the cost of a monthly subscription as well.
Read more nanny cam reviews here.