Monitor your baby at home with the Levana Sophia baby monitor
The Levana Sophia lets you see and hear your baby while they are asleep in the nursery and you are busy in another part of your home.
This baby monitor has lots of great functions from infrared night vision, an ambient temperature sensor, 2-way communication, a lovely little night light (which you turn on or off) and a really long battery life.
- 2-way communication.
- 48 hour battery life in standby mode.
- Can be used for 2 hours on just the battery.
- IR night time vision.
- Temperature sensor.
- Max 500ft range.
- Out of range warning alert.
This light weight, handheld Levana baby monitor is easy to carry around with you and the images are crystal clear (it uses ClearVu technology).
You can even have the sound muted, because you can tell whether your baby is crying or not by the LED indicator bar – green is quiet, then it moves through yellow, orange and red – red means come here mum!
You can mount the Levana monitor on a wall or have it standing free on a shelf or dresser in the nursery and you can also add another 3 cameras to the system. This makes it easy to keep track of your baby as he or she finds their feet around your home (the Levana baby monitor auto scans between cameras for a complete monitoring experience).
There is also an out of range warning, so if you wander too far from the base unit, you can quickly turn around and head back within range.
The camera can be battery operated for 2 hours of constant use, which is a great feature if you have a power cut – many other baby monitors don’t have this option.
- Observe your baby in the nursery when you are busy in another part of your home.
- Monitor them in the nursery, during the night.
- Keep a protective eye on your elderly relative in the home.
Features of the Levana Sophia baby Monitor
- WIFI: No.
- RF frequency: 2.4 Ghz.
- Battery: 1 Lithium Ion battery with a 48 hour life in standby, voice activated PEEP mode; a 6 hour battery life if it is in continuous use (video and audio on).
- Power supply: The camera requires 110-220V and 50/60 Hz mains power or can be operated with 4 x AAA batteries (not included).
- Two-way communication: Yes.
- Infrared: The range for night vision is 15 ft and it has 4 IR LEDs.
- Zoom: No.
- Pan and Tilt: No, but you can manually move the camera up and down (73 degrees) to alter the viewing angle.
- Temperature sensor: You can monitor the ambient temperature in your baby’s room remotely.
- Live feeds: Yes.
- WIFI range: N/A.
- Data encryption: This Levana monitor uses a private, secure and interference free digital signal, so unlike analog signals, no one but you can view the transmissions.
- Antenna: Yes.
- VOX: No.
- Range: A maximum range of 500 ft and an optimum range of 150 ft.
- Lullabies: No.
- Warranty: The manufacturer supplies a 1 year warranty and lifetime customer support.
Specifications of the Levana Sophia
- Screen size: 3.5 inches.
- Monitor Resolution: 320 x 240.
- Optimal focal distance: 2-10ft.
- Color images: Yes, during daylight hours, black and grey at night.
- Motion detector: No.
- Sound detection: Yes.
Inclusions with the Sophia Baby Monitor
- SD card: No.
- Batteries: Yes, 1 Lithium Ion battery is included.
- Power cords: Yes, the Levana Sophia comes with 2 power adapter cords.
The Levana Baby Monitor Sophia compared to the Levana Lila
These Levana baby monitors are both in the same price range and both have very similar features.
The differences seem to be that the Lila has a longer battery life in standby mode (72 hrs vs 48 hrs for the Levana Sophia) and has greater movement in the viewing angle (240o horizontal and 65o vertical vs only 73o vertical for the Levana Sophia).
On the other hand, the Levana Sophia digital 2.4 inch video baby monitor has a longer IR night vision range (15ft vs 12ft for the Lila), a wider screen (3.4 inches vs 2.4 inches for the Lila), an ambient temperature sensor and the camera can be run on batteries for 2 hrs if you have a power outage.
Pros: 75% of customer reviews gave the Sophia baby monitor a 4 or 5 star rating.
Most people liked the larger screen size and the clarity of the images, the range of the handheld monitor and the fact that there is no interference from WIFI or other devices using the same frequency range (this is a big problem with some baby monitors).
The reception range is great. Got reception 7’5 to 100′ away.
We have had it for 7 months and have never once had an issue with it.
We love this! It gives such a peace of mind to be able to see our baby in his crib.
Picture is very clear and love being able to zoom in.
Cons: Only a few customer reviews gave this baby monitor a one star rating, mainly because the monitor stopped working or they had problems with the battery life. The vast majority of customers however, were more than happy with this monitor.
US Shipping: For deliveries within the US, shipping is free.
Australia Shipping: The Levana Sophia is not shipped to Australia – see my Shipping Guide for other easy to use shipping options that really work well.
My final thoughts on the Sophia Baby Monitor
The Levana Sophia is in a good price range and has lots of great features. The choice between the Lila and the Sophia comes down to preferences, but if you want a larger screen, greater night vision range and an emergency battery option for the camera, then the Sophia baby monitor fits the bill.
If you want greater movement in the viewing angle and a longer standby battery life, then the Levana Lila might be more suitable. In the end, both of these Levana baby monitors do a good job, it just comes down to the mix of features you find best for your situation.