Put safety first with the D-Link DCS-5222L security camera
The D-Link DCS-5222L is in the medium price range, but it does have most of the features you need in a nanny cam.
- 2-way communication.
- Pan & Tilt.
- IR night time vision.
- Digital zoom.
- SD card storage.
- Motion alerts on your mobile device.
With the DCS-5222L, you can observe your home, workplace or nursery quite easily via the remote viewing functionality and it has two-way communication as well, so you can easily speak to your children or anyone else at the other end.
The D-Link 5222L keeps you informed of what is happening, whether you are viewing your children in real time or at a later date (it has a SD card slot for local storage).
Setup of the D-link DCS-5222L is fairly easy and as long as you have an internet connection, you can access the D-link website for real time monitoring 24/7. If the internet connection is lost, the recording will still be saved to the SD card on the camera.
An additional feature is the pan and tilt facility, so you can move the camera around remotely to make sure you capture all of the details of the room in question.
With its built-in CPU, you don’t need a PC to run this camera, but you do need one to set up the system initially. Real-time viewing can be accessed via any PC or mobile device with an internet connection.
There are no ongoing monthly fees with this model.
- Monitor your baby from the office.
- Observe your baby sleeping in the nursery at night.
- Keep in touch with your partner, children or baby when you are away from home.
- Make sure that everything is going well with the babysitter.
- Keep an eye on your elderly relative at home.
- Use as either a home surveillance camera or a nanny cam.
Features of the DCS-5222L nanny cam
- WIFI: IEEE 802.11n.
- Size: 4.72 x 4.06 x 5.11 inches.
- Battery: No.
- Recharge time: N/A.
- Power supply: 110-240 V AC / 5 V DC.
- 2-way communication: Yes.
- Operating systems: Microsoft Windows 7, 8, Vista, XP SP2, Mac OS X (v10.6 or higher).
- Storage: PC or local SD card.
- Infrared: Up to 15 feet in darkness.
- Zoom: Digital zoom 10x.
- Pan and Tilt: Yes.
- Installation: Connect the cables, plug in the camera and run the setup wizard.
- Live feeds/Remote monitoring: Yes, via any PC or mobile device with an internet connection.
- Alert notifications: Yes, you receive motion alerts on your mobile device.
- WIFI range: Depends on your signal strength.
- Password protection: HTTP and RTSP digest encryption.
- Warranty: 1 year limited warranty.
- Recording time: N/A
- Video resolution: HD 720p.
- Frames per second: 30.
- Color images: Yes in daytime.
- Viewing angle: 70 degrees x 53 degrees by 92 degrees.
- Pixel resolution: 1280 x 720.
- SD card: Micro SD card slot – 32GB.
- Cloud storage: Yes – but only for live video monitoring, not for past event viewing.
- Audio: Yes – two way audio.
- Sound detection: No.
- Motion detector: Yes.
- SD card: No.
- Software: Download the mydlink app from the Apple Store or Google Playstore. This camera also comes with software that allows you to configure the settings and options.
- Setup: This camera comes with a mounting kit, installation CD, audio in/out cable, power adapter and a network cable.
DCS-5222L compared with the DCS-5020L Model
In comparison to the DCS-5222L, there are a few important differences:
→ The DCS-5020L has a WIFI extender (which is important if you have lots of dead spots) and the DCS-5222L does not.
→ The DCS-5222L has a SD card slot and the DCS-5020L does not.
→ The DCS-5222L has 2-way audio and the DCS-5020L does not.
→ The DCS-5020L has sound detection and the DCS-5222L does not.
→ The zoom on the DCS-5020L is x4, but on the DCS-5222L it is x10.
→ The viewing angle on the DCS-5222L is much wider than on the DCS-5020L.
→ The DCS-5222L is also more expensive than the DCS-5020L nanny cam.
|Night Vision||2-Way Audio||SD SLot||Detects Motion||Detects Sound||Pan & Tilt||Zoom||WIFI Extender|
Pros: More than 50% of customer reviews gave the DCS-5222L a 4 or 5 star rating. Most customers said that the quick start-up instructions worked well, and it is reliable and easy to operate. Accessibility is also easy on mobile devices and it has good video quality during both the day and night.
Great camera! Very easy to setup and the app is free and works well.
The camera was easy to install and has worked like a champ locally and remotely both from my PC and Mac as well as my iPhone with the d-link app.
Works well, good range of motion. The night vision works very well and also has good range.
Amazing high quality images, easy to use on a PC, tab and android, easy to install, and manage and the best customer service ever.
Cons: Around 20% of customer reviews gave the D-Link DCS-5222L a one star rating. The main complaints concern problems with the setup and connectivity, poor images, and with the new firmware updates which is now touch-based. Customers complain that it is difficult and slow to use the touch screen on smartphones (due to their small screen size), in particular using the pan and tilt feature on small phone screens is troublesome.
For just about every negative comment, the D-Link customer support responded to the customer, asking them to contact support for a solution. It is good to know that D-Link actually reads these comments and wants to help fix any problems with their security cameras.
For more customer reviews on the DCS-5222L nanny cam – check the website here.
For more customer reviews and information on the DCS-5020L nanny cam – check the website here.
For today’s discounted price on the D-Link DCS-5222L – check the website here.
For today’s discounted price on the D-Link DCS-5020L – check the website here.
US Shipping: For deliveries within the US, shipping is free.
Australia Shipping: The DCS-5222L is not shipped to Australia, however the DCS-5020L is shipped to Australia. For Shipping options to Australia check out my Shipping Guide.
Both of these home surveillance cameras are suitable as nanny cams, it just depends on the functionality you want in your camera. If sound detection is important to you, then you may prefer the DCS-5020L, but if 2-way audio and a SD card are more important, then you might want the DCS-5222L.
Overall, the customer reviews for these two cameras combined indicate that the setup is fairly straight forward, however at the same time – the setup is one of the main negative complaints about these cameras. It seems that if you are going to have problems, then you are more likely to have problems with the set up than any other factor.
Read more nanny cam reviews here