Put safety first with the D-Link DCS-5222L security camera
The D-Link DCS-5222L is in the medium price range, but it does have most of the features you need in a nanny cam. With 2-way communication, pan & tilt, night time vision, a digital zoom, motion alerts and SD storage, you have everything at your fingertips to keep your property and your family safe.
- 2-way communication.
- Pan & Tilt (340 x 120 degrees).
- IR night time vision (26 feet).
- HD 720p video resolution.
- Digital zoom (x 10).
- SD card storage.
- Motion alerts on your mobile device.
- Easy to set up.
With the DCS-5222L nanny cam and security camera, you can observe your home, workplace or nursery quite easily via the remote viewing functionality. With its two-way communication functionality, you can easily speak to your children at home, as well as your partner or babysitter, even a burglar to let him know you have him on camera!
Built-in SD local storage
With SD card storage, the D-Link 5222L keeps you informed of what is happening, whether you are viewing your children in real time or at a later date.
The microSD card slots has a capacity of 32GB, giving you plenty of space to record continuous video clips or action from motion detection alerts and scheduled recordings.
All you need to do is to save these video clips permanently to your PC from your SD card and then reinsert the cleared SD card into the camera. With no cloud storage – there are no monthly fees!
Setting up your D-Link nanny cam
Setup and use of the D-link DCS-5222L is fairly easy and all you need to do is to download the D-Link app onto your mobile device and follow the prompts. Once connected whenever you have an internet connection, you can access the D-link website for real time monitoring 24/7. However, if the internet connection is lost, the recording will still be saved to the SD card on the camera.
Pan & Tilt & digital zoom
An additional feature is the pan and tilt facility, which let’s you move the camera lens around remotely, making sure that you capture as much of the room as possible.
With an ultra-smooth 340 x 120 degree pan & tilt functionality and a x10 digital zoom, you won’t miss anything that is happening!
No PC needed
With its built-in CPU, you don’t need a PC to run the D-Link nanny cam and security camera, but you do need one to set up the system initially. Once setup, real-time viewing can be accessed via any PC or mobile device with an internet connection.
Common uses of the D-Link DCS 5222L nanny cam
This nanny cam is really versatile, because you can easily re-purpose it once your children have grown and use it as a security camera in the home or office. Custoemrs also purchase these nanny cams to keep an eye on their pets when they are away at work and also their elderly relatives.
- Monitor your baby from the office.
- Observe your baby sleeping in the nursery at night.
- Keep in touch with your partner, children or baby when you are away from home.
- Make sure that everything is going well with the babysitter.
- Keep an eye on your elderly relative at home.
- Use as either a home surveillance camera or a nanny cam.
Features of the DCS-5222L nanny cam
- WIFI: IEEE 802.11n.
- Size: 4.72 x 4.06 x 5.11 inches.
- Battery: No.
- Recharge time: N/A.
- Power supply: 110-240 V AC / 5 V DC.
- 2-way communication: Yes.
- Operating systems: Microsoft Windows 7, 8, Vista, XP SP2, Mac OS X (v10.6 or higher).
- Storage: PC or local SD card.
- Infrared: Up to 15 feet in darkness.
- Zoom: Digital zoom 10x.
- Pan and Tilt: Yes.
- Installation: Connect the cables, plug in the camera and run the setup wizard.
- Live feeds/Remote monitoring: Yes, via any PC or mobile device with an internet connection.
- Alert notifications: Yes, you receive motion alerts on your mobile device.
- WIFI range: Depends on your signal strength.
- Password protection: HTTP and RTSP digest encryption.
- Warranty: 1 year limited warranty.
- Recording time: N/A
- Video resolution: HD 720p.
- Frames per second: 30.
- Color images: Yes in daytime.
- Viewing angle: 70 degrees x 53 degrees by 92 degrees.
- Pixel resolution: 1280 x 720.
- SD card: Micro SD card slot – 32GB.
- Cloud storage: Yes – but only for live video monitoring, not for past event viewing.
- Audio: Yes – two way audio.
- Sound detection: No.
- Motion detector: Yes.
- SD card: No.
- Software: Download the mydlink app from the Apple Store or Google Playstore. This camera also comes with software that allows you to configure the settings and options.
- Setup: This camera comes with a mounting kit, installation CD, audio in/out cable, power adapter and a network cable.
DCS-5222L compared with the DCS-5020L Model
In comparison to the DCS-5222L, there are a few important differences with the DCS-5020L nanny camera.
→ The DCS-5020L has a WIFI extender (which is important if you have lots of dead spots) and the DCS-5222L does not.
→ The DCS-5222L has a SD card slot and the DCS-5020L does not.
→ The DCS-5222L has 2-way audio and the DCS-5020L does not.
→ The DCS-5020L has sound detection and the DCS-5222L does not.
→ The zoom on the DCS-5020L is x4, but on the DCS-5222L it is x10.
→ The viewing angle on the DCS-5222L is much wider than on the DCS-5020L.
→ The DCS-5222L is also more expensive than the DCS-5020L nanny cam.
|Night Vision||2-Way Audio||SD SLot||Detects Motion||Detects Sound||Pan & Tilt||Zoom||WIFI Extender|
Pros: More than 50% of customer reviews give the DCS-5222L a 4 or 5 star rating. Most customers say that the quick start-up instructions work well, and it is a reliable and easy to operate security camera. Accessibility is also easy on mobile devices and it has good video quality during both the day and night.
Great camera! Very easy to setup and the app is free and works well.
The camera was easy to install and has worked like a champ locally and remotely both from my PC and Mac as well as my iPhone with the d-link app.
Works well, good range of motion. The night vision works very well and also has good range.
Amazing high quality images, easy to use on a PC, tab and android, easy to install, and manage and the best customer service ever.
Cons: There are some problems with the initial setup and ongoing connectivity, and some customers have found that the pan & tilt function triggers a motion event, sending them repeated notification emails and filling up their SD card with video clips.
The DCS-5222L can be used as both a nannycam and a security camera, depending on the functionality you want in your camera. If sound detection is important to you, then you may prefer the DCS-5020L, but if 2-way audio and a SD card are more important, then you might want the DCS-5222L.
Overall, the customer reviews for these two cameras indicate that the setup is fairly straight forward, however at the same time – the setup is one of the main negative complaints about these cameras. It seems that if you are going to have problems, then you are more likely to have problems with the set up than any other factor.
Some customers have also reported a glitch where the pan & tilt function triggers motion notification alerts and filling up their SD card with video clips of these ‘events’. If you are considering purchasing the DCS 5222L camera, it might be best to compare it with other options before making your final decision.