You can mute the incoming audio recordings on the DCS-5029L – an important feature in many States.
Keep your baby safe with the D-Link DCS-5029L nanny cam
The DCS-5029L has most of the functions you should need in a WIFI surveillance camera, nanny cam or pet cam. It comes with 2-way communication, IR night vision, an SD card slot, a digital zoom (x10), pan & tilt and motion alerts.
My D-Link DCS-5029L Review
The D-Link DCS-5029L has two-way audio, which is a great feature that lets you talk to your children or pets while you are away. Is easy to use and easy to set up, with an SD card slot for local storage, giving you the ability to view footage at a later date.
- 2-way communication.
- IR night time vision.
- SD card slot for local storage.
- Digital zoom (x10).
- Pan & Tilt.
- Motion alerts on your mobile devices.
With both night time video and sound and motion functionalities the D-Link DCS-5029L is a super little camera that can also keep your home secure and take snap shots of any untoward break-ins or activities. You can also take snap shots of your children or baby in the nursery for your album.
This home security camera gives you peace of mind knowing that you can check up on your family, children or pets when you are away.
You can access the live video footage anywhere you have an internet connection, on any mobile device and pan and tilt the camera for better viewing.
- Make sure your baby is safe at home while you are in work.
- Keep in touch with your partner, children or baby when you are away from the home.
- Chat with the babysitter when you are not at home.
- Monitor your elderly relative to make sure they are safe at home.
- Watch your pets as they misbehave when you are at work.
- Easy to use as a security camera or a nanny cam.
Features of the D-Link DCS-5029L nanny cam
- WIFI: 802.11 g/n.
- Size: 4.7 x 0.8 x 5.1 inches.
- Battery: No.
- Recharge time: N/A.
- Power supply: 110-240 V AC
- Operating systems: Microsoft Windows 7, 8, Vista, Mac OS X (v10.6 or higher).
- Storage: PC or local SD card.
- Two-way communication: Yes.
- Infrared: Up to 26 feet in darkness.
- Zoom: Digital zoom 10x.
- Pan and Tilt: Yes.
- Installation: Connect the cables, plug in the camera and run the setup wizard.
- Live feeds/Remote monitoring: Yes, via any PC or mobile device with an internet connection.
- Alert notifications: Yes, you receive motion alerts on your mobile devices.
- WIFI range: Depends on your signal strength.
- Password protection: Yes.
- Warranty: 1 year limited warranty.
Recording Specifications for the DCS-5029L nanny camera
- Recording time: Depends on the size of your SD card and whether you use event or continuous monitoring.
- Video resolution: Up to 1280 x 720 for 16:9 and 960 x 720 for 4:3.
- Frames per second: 30.
- Color images: Yes in daytime.
- Viewing angle: 98 degrees x 52 degrees x 115 degrees.
- SD card: Micro SD card slot.
- Cloud storage: Yes – but only for live video monitoring, not for past event viewing.
- Audio: Yes – two way audio.
- Sound detection: No.
- Motion detector: Yes.
Inclusions with the D-Link DCS-5029L
- Software: Download the mydlink app from the Apple Store or Google Playstore. This camera also comes with software that allows you to configure the settings and options.
- Setup: This camera comes with an Ethernet cable, audio in/out cable, power adapter, mounting kit and a quick install guide.
DCS-5029L compared to the DCS-5009L
In comparison to the DCS-5029L, there are a few important differences:
→ The DCS-5029L has 2-way audio and a SD card, which the DCS-5009L does not.
→ The zoom on the DCS-5029L is x10, but on the DCS-5009L it is x4.
→ The viewing angle on the DCS-5029L is much wider than on the DCS-5009L.
→ The DCS-5029L has a SD card slot and the DCS-5009L does not.
→ The DCS-5029L has 2-way audio and the DCS-5009L does not.
→ The DCS-5029L has sound detection and the DCS-5009L does not.
→ The DCS-5009L is much cheaper than the DCS-5029L, but then the 5029 does have more features.
|Night Vision||2-Way Audio||SD Slot||Detects Motion||Detects Sound||Pan & Tilt||Zoom||WIFI Extender|
Pros: Nearly 70% of customer reviews gave these models a 4 or 5 star rating. Positive comments include friendly and helpful customer support, easy setup, works well on android smart phones and has great image quality.
I use it all the time to view My house while I’m traveling – love the pan and tilt.
Outstanding cameras. Exceeds my expectations They work perfect. Like the ability to trigger a video clip with motion detection. The HD is very good.
Very easy to setup. Downloaded dlinks free app to my cellphone and providing I am in a 4G or fast wifi area am able to go online to view video from camera and rotate device as well as setup motion detection from anywhere away from the house.
Works great. Easy to set up. No issues at all. Just follow the instructions and you’ll be fine.
Cons: Around 20% of customer reviews gave these models a one star rating. The vast majority of criticisms concerned problems with setting up these models, but a few had problems with image resolution and others had problems using the pan and tilt feature on their smart phones.
The built in speaker isn’t very loud, so if you want to use the 2-way communication on the DCS-5029L, other customers have found it best to plug in an external speaker. Also, apparently there has been a known problem where the cameras reposition to a central position, each time you log into the camera. D-Link are apparently working on an update to the firmware, which should be available soon.
It is fair to say that the D-Link customer support responded to many of these complaints and asked the customer to contact them for help.
For more information on the DCS-5029L – check the website here.
For more information on the DCS-5009L – check the website here.
US Shipping: For deliveries within the US, shipping is free.
Australia Shipping: These cameras do not ship to Australia. For easy shipping options that work well, read my Shipping Guide.
Features I like about the DCS-5029L nanny cam
Having SD storage is a great feature, as is the pan & tilt and digital zoom. Customer support is also very helpful, but most people don’t have any problems setting up the DCS-5029L nanny cam. You can also turn the audio recording feature off, which is great if you live in States where this is a problem.
Points to note about the DCS-5029L nanny cam
The built in speaker isn’t very loud, so most people find that they need to plug it into an external speaker. You also don’t have sound alerts, so if your baby cries you won’t be able to receive alert notifications.
Whilst most people didn’t have problems setting these cameras up, the most common complaint was about this very problem. It seems that you either have a very easy time with the setup of these D-Link cameras or a very difficult time.
Of those that do have problems with the setup process, most of these customers received help from customer support and the process was completed with no further problems.
However, if the DCS-5029L isn’t for you and you still want a very affordable WIFI surveillance camera that can be easily used as a nanny cam with night time vision, motion detection, pan and tilt and a zoom, then the cheaper DCS-5009L might be suitable for you.